8/1/11

Herriman Black Ridge Triathlon


We did it! We did our first triathlon this last Saturday. It was so much fun. I loved it! I have to admit I was so worried about it and was having some major anxiety attacks over it. But in the end it was a lot of fun. I’m happy to report that I did kick Scott’s bum…in the run only… He pretty much creamed me on the bike and the swim. I was so proud of him. He did awesome! Especially considering he hardly had any time to train at all. I liked doing an open water swim, even though most people seemed to hate it. Both Scott and I did it way faster than we ever did in training. The bike course was a hard one with a super long steep hill that just about killed me. I pretty much spent the entire time going up that hill in prayer, begging for help. It was truly a miracle that I made it up. It was brutal. But it was done and I was excited to get off that bike and start running. Running is my thing after all. I was really counting on gaining some ground during my run. Ha! Little did I know how hard it is to run after you’ve already exhausted yourself with swimming and biking. Your legs feel like jello. It took all the will power and mind control I had in me to run those 3 + miles. I just kept chanting to myself “I will not walk, I’m a runner, I can do this, I will not walk”. I just about burst into tears running across that finish line… and straight into Scott’s arms. I just loved doing a race with him. It was the sweetest feeling.

I'm not going to lie, it was hard. But it was worth it. The adrenaline rush of a race is exhilarating. The people are so nice and encouraging, even the ones you are passing. There is a feeling of unity and accomplishment and triumph that is worth every second of pain. You come out a more humble and stronger person. You gain a great appreciation for our amazing bodies that can do hard things.

We got home and started looking up other triathlons in the area that we can do. Next up, Bountiful Labor Day Triathlon.

Anyone want to join us?

4 comments:

zinka said...

Way to go!
I would never be able to do anything like that, even in my dreams, but it feels sooooo good to feel your joy. Thank you for setting a great example for my grandchildren ;-). We all are so proud of both of you Mommy and Daddy.
In behalf of Ben and Andrew c/o Babulia/Mamulia :-)

~~Heidi~~ said...

That is so awesome!! Way to go both of you! I love that you do them together. Maybe someday I will get up the guys to do one with Nic, I know he would waste my behind in all events, but I you are both an inspiration to me! Miss you guys and it was so good to see and do things with you! Come to Kauai soon -k- There are always tri's here you could try out!!!!! ;)

ashley said...

It was so fun to see you two on Saturday! We want to see you when you're not dead tired from just completing a tri! Ha! You guys are so awesome - I love that you did it together. You are perfect for each other and it must make it cool to be able to complete something like that together. Love you guys!

Mandy Troxel said...

Now that the pain has worn off, I will do another one with you! And this time my goal is to keep up with you until the run cause I know you will waste me there.