
So I was reminded today of the nursing board test that I took just a year ago. All I can say is I'm so glad I'm done with nursing school and all the tests. Those were some tough times. Well, the last couple weeks I had really rough days (or nights, in my case) at work. I started thinking that I really didn't like nursing and didn't want to do it anymore. But then, as usual, whenever I get discouraged about my profession, there is always something that happens that makes me make a 180 and start loving what I do again. Today I'm grateful for being a nurse. Really, when I think of it, it brings tears to my eyes. I've been wanting to be a nurse for so long. There is something gratifying in being able to sign RN after my name. There is something gratifying in being able to go home from work and know that you've taken good care of someone and that someone is better off because of you. Holy Cow, I am a licensed healthcare professional. I really don't think it hit me until today, until a year later. I've been trained to assess and to provide nursing as well as specialized care. I've been trained to make decisions according your care based on my assessment. I can insert a catheter in your bladder. I can start an IV and administer IV fluids and medications. I can insert a nasogastric tube for feeding, medication administration or gastric suction. I can give you a shot. I know the uses and side effects of all the medications that I'm giving you. I can talk to doctors about my concerns. Some even ask me about my opinion and what I would do (it may be because I call them in the middle of the night and they are half asleep). I hold your hand and listen to your concerns and fears and hopes. I hold your hair while you puke your guts out and then clean you up. I wipe your bottom when you are unable to do it yourself. I sneak a treat in for you when hospital jello just doesn't do it for you. I change your dressings and clean your wounds. I laugh with you. I cry with you. I do everything in my power to make you feel better. I am your nurse and I love it.
Like I said, some days are better than others. Today is a good day and I want to remember it. I'm only writing this so I have something to turn to on those bad days when I get discouraged and have something to remind me why I absolutely love being a nurse.
5 comments:
I've said before that I think nurses are angels. I wanted to be a nurse but didn't even try because I thought it would be too competitive at BYU (and it probably was). I'm so impressed with you and your hard work--all nurses for that matter. I remember being in the hospital once when I was thirteen and throwing up uncontrollably, and all these angel nurses cleaning me up, helping me change my hospital gown, washing my hair, they were so sweet. And then when I gave birth to my second baby, my nurse held my hand the whole time and was simply AMAZING. I sent her a gift certificate to See's and a thank you card because she was so amazing. So thanks for being a nurse! I love them!
When I am sick, I wish I had a nurse like you, Diana ;-). You make this world better and you have a stamina to do it!! You have the hardest and the most rewarding profession.
I remember how hard your school was at times and you are amazing for getting through with it. I miss your friendship and wish we could visit at times. You are one of the strongest people I know!
I'm calling you when I need my hair held while I'm puking. :)
Seriously, I hardly ever see nurses (but probably mostly because I'm too stubborn to ever go to the doctor when I should!) But I think I need you as my nurse when I do!
wow! a nurse!!! thats awesome- i always wanted to do something like that but i realized i am not good with needles, blood and that sort of stuff! we are doing great- sheldon is deployed and i am holding down the homefront for a couple months before we head out to hawaii- i am excited to move back there and sheldon has never been so he is also excited- he will have a desk job there so more time with me and our little one- this is turning into a book! talk to you laters- nicole
Post a Comment