9/23/08

We are BINKY FREE


Yes, that's right, no more binkies in our house. Whew! Ben used to refuse to go to sleep unless he had his binky. Bed time was the only time binky was allowed and I was fine with that. However, in the last few weeks, Ben started to wake up several times a night because he couldn't find his binky in the dark. That's several times a night I had to wake up and find his binky. My four-months-old sleeps through the night, but my two-year-old was keeping me up. Something's wrong with that. Well, I've had enough of it and it was time to say bye-bye to the binky. Last week for family home evening I made Ben a little book about a Binky fairy (thanks to supernanny for the great idea). Big boys, like Ben, send their binkies in the mail to the Binky fairy who gives them to the little babies that really need them. In return, when the big boys wake up in the morning, the fairy brings them a present. So after out little story, Ben decided he wanted to send his binkies to the fairy. We packed all of them in the envelope and went down and dropped them in the mailbox. Ben was actually really excited about the whole thing. Later that night, though, he dicided he wanted his binkies back. It was so cute. He kept asking the Binky fairy to bring them back cause he still needed them. Too late, buddy. Andrew doesn't take a binky, so there's no temptations for Ben. Well, to make the story short, he did go to sleep without it. When he woke up next morning, the first thing he said was "lets go get present from Binky Fairy". So we did. There was a present on our doorstep for him. So there you have it. He had a little hard time the first few nights. Now he just goes to sleep, no problem at all. Most importantly, he sleeps through the night again, which translates into long, restful night for me. Life is good again!

2 comments:

Emily said...

what a good idea, I wish I had done that with my first.

kristen said...

I'm glad that Ben is now letting you sleep at night! That's a great idea to trade for a present. Poor Ben. :)